FREE CASE REVIEW
Fill out the form below to get in touch with our team!
FREE CASE REVIEW inner
Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Call One of the Best Pedestrian Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
Every year pedestrians, runners, joggers, and bicyclists are injured on Texas roadways. More times than not, the injuries are serious, or cause death. Pedestrian accident lawyer Joe Stephens has 30+ years of experience in handling cases involving pedestrian and crosswalk accidents. He has tried many bicycle accident cases, one of them a $4,000,000 verdict in Liberty County for a paralyzed cyclist.
In the United States, there are approximately 5,000 pedestrians who are killed in motor vehicle crashes. This accounts for about 11 percent of all motor vehicle deaths nationwide. Approximately 70,000 additional pedestrians are injured as a result of motor vehicle-pedestrian collisions in the United States.
Common pedstrain involved accidents in Houston:
Crosswalks and Sidewalks
Statistics on Pedestrian Accidents and Fatalities
Being struck by a motor vehicle while on foot is much more common in Texas than people realize. In 2016 the State was ranked 8th in number of fatalities per year per 100k people. That's 2.44 deaths per 100,000 and this number doesn't even included those who were hit and only injured. The injuries inflicted by such accidents can be some of the most devastating of all auto related accidents due to the complete vulnerability of the victim. If the pedestrian is following the law, then being hit while walking is almost always a matter of negligence - too often by a distracted or drunk driver.
Every year, between 400 and 500 pedestrians are killed in Texas. Houston accounts for a large portion of these pedestrian fatalities. In Houston, there are many joggers, and it is the site of the Houston marathon. Accordingly, thousands of joggers train in the streets of Houston. There are numerous crosswalk accidents involving pedestrians and joggers as a result.
Tragically, youngsters between the ages of 5 to 9 years old are the pedestrians most involved in crashes involving injuries and death. This is because young children tend to dart out into roadways in areas where they are playing.
Common Factors Causing Pedestrian Collisions with Cars
- Speeding - The number one contributing factor is speed. It accounts for about one third of all pedestrian fatalities. There is approximately a 90 percent chance of being killed when a pedestrian is struck at a speed of 40 miles per hour. When the speed at impact is 30 miles per hour or less, the percentage of those killed drops a little below 50 percent. At 20 miles per hour or below, the fatality rate plummets to around 5 percent.
- Drunk Drivers - Alcohol is also a contributing factor to many pedestrian crashes. About one third of all pedestrians who are killed are legally drunk. Most fatal pedestrian accidents occur after dark. About half of pedestrian fatalities occur on the weekend. The highest number of pedestrian fatalities occur during the winter months, and this is felt to be caused by the fewer daylight hours during these months.
- Negligence of Drivers - Like most vehicle accidents, distracted drivers are the number one cause of vehicle injuries involving pedestrians. The use of technology such as phones, GPS, and radios while operating a vehicle only serve to increase the chance of pedestrian strikes. Drivers failing to look for pedestrian when making turns in busy urban areas, running stop signs, swerving onto sidewalks, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or driving recklessly all present a danger to passers-by.
- Unsafe or Poor Road Conditions - Negligent drivers aren't the only cause of pedestrian accidents. If an accident happens on privately owned property that doesn't provide adequate lighting, speed reduction devices, signage, or clear road markings, the owner may be liable for having left an environment that is dangerous for pedestrians.
- Construction and School Zones - Texas law already requires that drivers slow down while passing any active construction zones for safety of the nearby workers. Too often drivers fail to heed the signs and a seriously dangerous situation exists for those working in the area. School zones are another area where Texas laws have been implemented in an effort to protect the public, specifically children.
Get Help Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
If you or a loved one was hit by a vehicle and you suspect negligence, there are laws that protect your rights and require compensation be made. Houston personal injury lawyer Joe Stephens has decades of experience representing accident and injury clients in all types of cases including pedestrian-involved accidents. Contact our office now to discuss your case and protect your rights.